Thursday, December 14, 2006

A Few Centuries Later

Through the end of The Singing Sword by Jack Whyte and on to new things. I will read the next book in Whyte's series, The Eagle's Brood, but I don't feel a pressing need to start it. It will be there when I'm ready to see what the new viewpoint of Merlyn has to say. I did pick up the book at the library, but also picked up Bernard Cornwell's The Last Kingdom. About 40 pages in and it is enjoyable and engaging. Not knowing much of the first millennium in England, it's nice to get at least a fictional account of how Britain has been invaded/conquered/colonized/defended throughout history. In Cornwell's book, it's the 9th century and Danish Vikings are invading. Swords, warfare, kings, earls, and general mayhem. Makes for great cold weather reading.

I've got other books on my to-be-read pile, but getting up this head of steam to read is slow. I can't seem to get myself to pick up the fifth Harry Potter book. Maybe before the movie is released I'll get to that one. A few others waiting for attention: Raymond Feist's Magician; K.J. Parker's The Colours In The Steel; Neil Gaiman's American Gods. I've got a whole wish list over on Amazon to keep me going for a while. Many suggestions culled from over at ASOIAF bulletin board.

Oh yeah, I am eagerly waiting for the final installment of Hunter S. Thompson's correspondence, due to be released just after the start of 2007: The Mutineer: Rants, Ravings, and Missives from the Mountaintop 1977-2005 . One of my favorite collections ever is volume one of the HST letters, The Proud Highway. Insanely entertaining and informative. Well, maybe "insanely" is the wrong word there, as HST was not yet into his gonzo phase at that point. He was struggling. The insanity hits in the second volume, Fear & Loathing in America. In any case, HIGHLY recommended.

Speaking of the library, I can't believe I have not been checking out books there all along! My local library is a
beautiful new facility right on the Fox River in Elgin, Illinois. It's cool to pick up a few books to peruse, find a quiet spot on the second floor, and enjoy the view of the river and far bluff.

Running in front of the library is the Fox River Trail, which is part of an extensive network of bike paths that run throughout the Chicago 'burbs. The weather's colder, but not too cold, so perhaps a ride along the path is called for. I was out there the Monday after our warm Thanksgiving (and just before the first major snowfall of the season) and the path was pretty much deserted. Very peaceful.


No comments: